The marriage. . . I am sure if my ex were to read this he would think I have it all wrong. It is funny how we all view things differently. We met when I was 18 and he was 19. We were both stationed in Stuttgart Germany and MP's in the US Army. I remember the first time I saw him. He had a presence about him. He was so handsome and I knew I wanted to get to know him right away. We had our ups and downs and on and offs until I became pregnant and then I agreed to marry him. He had been asking me, but I was scared. Funny how some things never change. We ended up tying the knot and it wasn't until my first anniversary that I actually thought we had a chance. We moved to N. Carolina, then Washington state where we spent 10 years. He became an officer in the military and I was so proud of all of his accomplishments. I was a stay at home mom having baby after baby. I loved living a traditional life. Then while in Washington he started having problems with his vision. We knew that he had an untreatable eye disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa. It was starting to affect him. He had difficulty going from outside to a room. His eyes would not adjust. It wasn't long after that he started to hit his head and shins on things. This in my oponion was the beginning of the end. I didn't know it at the time. I thought we would have a few bad years and we would adjust. That didn't happen. He got medically retired from the military and we moved to Arizona. It was a great move. The sunshine was wonderful. I never looked back and missed all the rain and overcast days. But moving to a nice sunny state did not help our situation, nor Tom's out of control temper and sadness that usually displayed itself as anger. He became very non trusting. We would have to take a friend of his to pick out wheels for our vehicle, because he didn't trust my judgement. I had always handled finances, and quite well, but he wanted to sit down and pay bills with me. I kept up hope that it would all get better, but after 6 years of this I began to lose hope. We made it another couple of years, miserably, before he started having an affair. You might wonder how that could have happened since he could not drive and depended on me so much. I wondered the same. In fact, when my 16 year old daughter told me about a conversation she overheard I pretty much laughed it off, thinking that I didn't have to worry about such things at this point in our relationship. I was wrong. It took a day to get all the details, but my whole world came tumbling down when I found out he had been seeing someone for two weeks that he had met at a blind conference that I had dropped him off at.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home